1) Brainstorm your categories
2) Create your categories
- Head over to your Selz dashboard and click on Categories.
- Then, click on ‘New category’
- Add a name and for your new category.
- You can assign the category to a ‘Parent’ category. This then creates a Parent > Child relationship where the ‘Child’ category will be displayed beneath the ‘Parent’ category within your Store. Note: Parent and Child categories are only available for those on a Paid plan with a theme installed.
- You can update the URL for your category pages.
- Upload an image to represent your category within your store.
- Choose how you want items to be sorted within your category page.
- You’ll also want to add the appropriate existing products to the category from this page.
- The name and description of the category will display on the category page and the items chosen will sit within the chosen category on your store:
3) Create Your Main Menu and Footer Menu.
Now that your items are organized into categories, we need to make it super easy for your customers to navigate them. We do this by putting a link to your categories in the menu. You can access the navigation management by select Store > Customize > Pages. Child categories will be displayed beneath their parent categories within the menu.
Here’s what it looks like in the settings:
Here’s what our Main Menu looks like now:
If you want to adjust your Footer Menu, follow the same steps, but be sure to select the ‘Footer Menu’ in the drop down.
Think about what you want in your main and footer menus and play around to see what works for you. Some businesses put different links in the footer menu than the main menu. Some include a direct email address for customer support, like Amanda Bisk:
4) Customize your navigation
There are additional options within the design settings of your theme on how your menu is displayed within your store.
- Mega Menu: Displays your categories within a larger menu style which can display products and categories.
- Display products: Displays products from your first category within the mega menu. This is useful to feature specific items.
- Display category images: Displays category images for each of your categories within the mega menu.
5) Customize your category pages
You can also configure how categories are displayed within your category pages.
- You can choose how much information is displayed for each category. Number of items within the category and the category name.
- Display products: Allows you to display products from Child categories within Parent category pages. If ‘Display product’ options are disabled then Child categories are represented using the category image.