Shipping is one of the biggest challenges every eCommerce store faces. If you’re selling products online, you need to ship them efficiently and at the lowest cost to you and your customers. So we’re thrilled to announce that Selz now gives your customers realtime carrier rates at checkout, from all the major carriers like UPS, USPS, Fedex, DHL, Canada Post, Deutsche Post, Aussie Post and many more. There’s also more shipping options available for speed of delivery with accurate rates.
Real-time carrier rates are a paid feature and available on our Standard and Pro plans.
How real-time rates work
During the checkout process we’ll contact your connected shipping carriers to obtain the real-time cost of shipping the order. As part of this we pass the following information:
- Origin and destination address
- Order weight
- Default parcel dimensions
Your connected carriers then return the rates and available services. During checkout customers simply select the service that they would like with the selected shipping rate added to the order total.
The selected rate will be displayed within the order detail page.
If we cannot obtain real-time rates we’ll use the manual rates that have been configured for that country. See our guide to creating manual shipping rates.
You’ll need the following to setup real-time rates:
- An account for a carrier who operates within your country. See the real-time shipping settings page or this list for carriers that we support for your country. For some countries and carriers you can use our default account to obtain retail rates from the carrier.
- Item weight added to all your items
- Default parcel size
To get started you first need to ensure that your address has been entered. This ensures we have your address when we request rates from your connected carriers. In some countries we’ll also validate your address with the carriers to ensure it is correct.
Default parcel size
As part of real-time rate calculation we need to send the default parcel size to the carrier so that they can calculate the appropriate rate.
Most carriers use dimensional weight which is determined by the carrier based on the height, width, and depth of your packages. If the dimensional weight for the order is larger than the order’s weight, your customer will be charged for the dimensional weight of their order. Dimensional weight calculations vary between carriers.
To get real-time rates within the checkout you need connect to a shipping carrier. Options available vary by country. See our list of supported shipping carriers.
There are two ways to connect and return rates from shipping carriers, available options vary by carrier and country:
- Default account: Uses the Selz default account to calculate retail rates from carriers.
- Own account: Uses provided account details to calculate account rates from carriers.
Default account (retail rates)
For some carriers we can calculate rates using our default accounts. These accounts will return retail rates i.e. The rate you would pay in the shop. If this option is enabled we’ll contact the carrier to return retail rates during the checkout process.
To use your own rates you’ll first need to create an account with a carrier that operates within your country.
Once your carrier account is approved you’ll need to connect the carrier account within Selz
If the option to connect your own carrier account is available you can enter your account details to get the rates you have negotiated with the carrier. The information required varies by carrier.
Once you have entered the required information click ‘Save’.
Within the shipping settings page you need to configure how rates are calculated for each country that you ship to.
- Real-time: We’ll contact your connected shipping carriers to obtain rates. If rates are not available the order will not be processed
- Real-time & Manual rates: We’ll contact your connected shipping carriers to obtain rates. If rates are not available from the carriers we’ll use the manual rates that have been configured for that country. See our guide to configuring manual rates.
- Manual rates: We’ll use your manual rates for all orders shipping to this country. See our guide to configuring manual rates.
During checkout we’ll contact your connected carriers for real-time rates and display these within the checkout.
If multiple carriers have been connected we’ll display rates from each carrier.
If we cannot contact the carriers for real-time rates and you have selected ‘Real-time & Manual rates’ for the country, then we’ll use your manual rates to calculate shipping for the order.